Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Nana's legacy


When my Nana passed away and my mother received her portion of the estate, my mom decided to share some of that with each of her children.  With the money, she included a letter that I kept because it told about who Nana and Granddaddy were.

"Family was always 1st and foremost to Nana and Granddaddy.  Everything they did centered on building family unity and relationships."

I have been searching for a way to use that money that would honor Nana and Granddaddy's memories and build family unity within my own family.  I wanted it to be a tribute to the kind of people my grandparents were.  Finally after almost 3 years I found it.

We planned a trip to the Kansas City, MO temple open house and several other church history sites.  What better way to honor my grandparents than to teach my children about their ancestors and about the religion that we try to live each day?

My next several posts will highlight our trip.  It was a wonderful vacation full of family togetherness.  And guess what, Mom?  That check covered the whole thing.  Thank you.  


10 comments:

Elsha said...

Sounds like a great trip!

Elsha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dianne said...

What a wonderful idea! I bet it was a fabulous adventure.

kachiai said...

This sounds like an awesome vacation. I like that you are honoring Nana and Grandaddy this way.

Mardi said...

We just got back from KS too. It's a beautiful temple! Can't wait to hear about your trip!

Becky Shuler said...

This post touched my heart. I think you did the absolute right thing to teach your children about family unity and relationships by taking them to church history sites. What a beautiful way to honor your Nana and Grandaddy. I can't wait to read/ see all about your trip! :)

Megs said...

That is such an awesome idea. We really were bless to have such an neat heritage and someday I hope to take my kids to see where it all began. I have always had an interest in my ancestors and it is so neat to see my kids have that same interest. I just love you lady.

Mary Lampros said...

What a wonderful, wonderful idea. Thank you for sharing. I love that you waited three years with that money before finding the perfect way to use it. That is wisdom.

Brimaca said...

Did you go to MY site? The Liberty Jail. Did you think of my little Liberty? :) I love that place. You've made me so homesick and I am so happy for my loved ones there who now have their own temple!

grammawood said...

That trip was a great idea, Laura. I love my heritage too and the older I get and the more I learn about them, the more I love and appreciate my ancestors