Monday, June 18, 2012

Nana's Legacy: Carthage

My children know about their ancestors.  I have several favorite stories I grew up hearing that I love to retell.  Some of those stories are also sad and sacred.  On this day, my children saw the place of one of those sad, sacred stories.

Hyrum Smith was Joseph Smith's older brother.  He is also my great-great-great grandfather. I tell my children the story of how he stayed by his brother's side through thick and thin until death.  How he honored and supported his brother.  It is my hope that my children can learn from him how to treat their own siblings and become full of integrity.  Joseph and Hyrum were both martyred in the Carthage jail.

The family at Carthage Jail

Joseph and Hyrum's statue

the door...with the bullet hole that everyone touched

What I would tell my Nana if I could:  I think my kids learned to love their heritage just a little more on this day.  There was a real feeling of reverence that they all felt.

3 comments:

Becky Shuler said...

What a beautiful post! I am so thankful for our heritage! My children got to see Carthage in 2010 when we had a reunion in Nauvoo. It is a sobering place, but important. I'm thankful for Hyrum's loyality to Joseph. I'm sure your children will always remember this day and the things they felt.

Stacey said...

I had no idea about you heritage. What an amazing thing to share and remember with your children!

Brimaca said...

Wow! I wish I had known this. Because of my time at Liberty Jail I love any info. I can gain. I study both of their lives as much as I can...or at least I used to. Been a slacker lately. How special that you are related to such an amazing person.