Monday, May 18, 2009

$4.56

With my kitchen table littered with bread, produce, and cans of vegetables, I began inventorying my grocery shopping purchases so I could put it all away. (Not a small task when you consider food storage rotation, and 3 pairs of little "helping" hands.) I felt frustrated when I couldn't find the spaghetti sauce, put-out when the corn was missing, and, I'm embarrassed to admit it, hot tempered when the cream of mushroom soup was gone too. I was missing one whole bag of food. (6 cans worth $4.56 to be exact)

And I couldn't let it go. I just couldn't let it go.

So, I headed back to the store this time with all five kids in tow and right after school no less to inform the manager that I had been shorted and needed this situation corrected. It's hard for kids to go grocery shopping once a day, but twice is a real killer. So, my grocery trip to re-pick-up 6 cans involved a stop at the bakery to beg for cookies and watch a cake get frosted, a look at the lobsters and the fish with their eyes still in, and of course the multiple mini-conversations I have with other grocery store patrons about my ability to fit five kids on/in a grocery cart. Heaven help me. I just spent 45 minutes at the grocery store!

So after causing myself at least $10.00 worth of pain and suffering, I got the 6 cans and five kids loaded into the car and back home.

I started putting stuff away again and turns out I found the "missing" cans. Some "helping" hands (I'm thinking Amy) shoved them into random spot in my pantry. I just spent the better part of my afternoon stressing out over 6 cans that weren't really missing. Plus now I'm a thief, and I feel really guilty.

I called the store and had a conversation with the manager that went something like this, "Hi. I'm that crazy lady that came in saying I was missing a bag of groceries. Turns out I found them...in my pantry." That is when the snickers started. "I owe you $4.56. Do you want me to come in and pay it or just return the 6 cans?" All out laughter. Then the manager says, "I think you might have worn yourself out already. We'll call it even."

She was able to just let it go.

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

What a beautiful story! I think you should write a book. Do you have some canned lines to hand the idiots that ask how you fit 5 kids in the shopping cart?

Katie said...

i feel your pain... i have made it home without a bag of groceries and nothing is more frusterating when you have to load everyone up and head back to the store!

Steph said...

Sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the bug.

Ally said...

Laura, I can see myself doing the same thing...good for you!

Carrie said...

Bless her soul for not making you come in and go through that for a third stinking time!

Megs said...

Got to love it. I will have to say that you are better then me. I would have just called it a loss. Knowing I would have to put all the kids back in the car and take them all out. $4.56 would have been to small a price to pay for all the headache.

Danielle said...

Thanks for the laugh. I can't believe you went back with all the kids.