Wednesday, August 27, 2008

1st day of school


It came, the first day of school.

Eric was SO ready for school. He walked right to his classroom with Tara and I trailing behind. We walked into his classroom and it was like he was a pro. He looked at me and said, "I just need to find my cubbie and then I can go to centers." Well, look who knows so much.

After we found his cubbie, and the teacher came over and said, "Eric what center do you want to do?" Here he is picking out the book he wants to read.


Anyway, after I took his picture he told me I could go now. Alright I get the point, see ya after school.

Tara was NOT ready for school. She was nervous about being in a new school and in a class with no one she knew. I helped her find her desk and then she asked me not to leave. I tried introducing her to the little girl sitting across from her, but she was silent. She just looked at me and then with tears in her eyes asked me not to leave. Oh, crap! The pregnant hormones kicked in. Then I wanted to cry and was blinking at my own tears. I told her I had to go (even though I wanted to stay). I think I was the only Mom who had no problem dropping off the Kindergardener and cried over the 2nd grader!


Look at that face! She was so nervous...



Funny thing, I picked the kids up from school and Tara practically sang about how wonderful her day was and how her teacher was so nice and they got snacks and blah, blah, blah! I had to ask her to be quiet for 3 minutes so Eric could have a turn. That was all he needed to say that recess was cool and school is easy!

7 comments:

Danielle said...

I have seen that face on Tara before. When my dog is near her. Poor thing. Hopefully the second day went better. Glad Eric likes it!

Jaimie said...

Fun times! That look that Tara gives in the second picture reminds me of you Laura! She must get that look a lot :) It says, "what are you doing?!"

Ashleigh said...

ahh..sweet freedom. funny how you're so ready for school to start, and then you don't want to let them go. i hope it's not too bad dropping lucy off for her first day at preschool next week!

Daniel said...

I'm so sad to see Eric's Mohawk gone but he still looks so cool, calm and collected.

This post made me remember being like that in Kindergarten too..."alright mom, you can go now already." I never quite understood why the other kids were crying. Back in the good ole days it was only a few hours though.

Good job for raising such a confident kid.

Daniel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brimaca said...

Glad she ended up having fun. She does look terrified. It's funny how some moments as moms make us all tender - especially when we are pregnant.

Megs said...

I remember being nervous, especially because I was always in a new school. Those times are hard. My kids are in a pilot program so they are with the same kids every year. Make for easy times.