Sunday, August 5, 2012

Horny Toad, Gecko, and Turtle. Oh My!

You'd think that word would spread to the reptile, bug population around these parts to stay far, far away from the Shannon kids. Alas, they just keep coming. Here are a few of the critters that we have captured recently.

Ian had a friend who found this little beauty and decided to share.  The turtle is now residing in a tank (thanks Shauna)  Ian is loving having a pet.  Keeks also enjoys the turtle.  She has managed to set the turtle free a couple of times and can be found lovingly stroking him while laying on Ian's bed.


This little gecko was running around in my pantry.  I called Ian and he had it captured in under two minutes.  Unfortunately for the gecko, he is also residing in the aquarium with a baby turtle and being loved on by two boys.  Keeks doesn't care for the lizard.

We pulled up to the pool one day and within seconds of getting out of the car, Ian had captured a horny toad.   I wouldn't let the kids keep the horny toad since it is currently listed as a threatened species in Texas and I didn't want my kids to help move it further along in the extinction process.  I only had my cell phone, but wanted pictures because the last time we found a horny toad was seven years ago.  Ian was really proud of the fact that the horny toad only "horned" Eric and not him. 

Keeks "holding" the horny toad

Tara has her turn

Ian doesn't need a plastic container!
Amy wanted to be the one who held the horny toad.


She's touching now so everything is fine.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Turtles are the best!!! I miss those types of West Texas critters! My kids have two baby garter snakes they caught. Madeleine loves them. I am disgusted by them. They get to reside in a small container in the garage. :)