Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Gun Safety

Jared can never wait for someone else to buy him a gift. This is no exception. Last night he went and bought a .22 rifle. Whatever. For the 3 guys who read this blog I'm sure it is really cool and stuff. I really don't care. I just want to ensure the safety of my children while having a firearm in the house.

It has a trigger lock, is stored in a combination lock case, and is hidden somewhere in the house that I don't even know. We had a lesson on firearm safety last night for FHE too.

This morning before the sun came up, Eric came into my room and saw this.


It is the empty box Jared hasn't discarded yet.

Eric said, "Uhm, Mom, Dad didn't do a very good job putting his gun away. Even Kyra can reach that."

See, they do listen.

6 comments:

Megs said...

Guns scare me! My step father in law has one in his glove box and I always think "What if the kids found that?!?" I am glad to see you guys are responsible. I agree with Eric though. On the floor is not the best place. I am glad it was just the box:)

Brooke said...

See, the little ones think we're soooo stupid...
We've got guns, and I don't even know where they are. It's a great right that we have, but it scares me too. Shane wants me to get my concealed weapon permit and then carry a pink gun...some guys fantasies... :)

Katy said...

My dad gave David some guns recently. Even with no ammo in the house, I did not sleep well until he took them to his brother's to keep in his safe. I grew up in a family that kept guns, but I am just not that comfortable with it at this point in my life! I love that you don't even know where it is!
I especially love Eric's comment!

Brimaca said...

Wow! They really do pay attention. Smart kid and glad he's watching out for his siblings.

The Stringers said...

Kyle is the same way about presents! He never fails to buy something right before his b-day, anniversary, whatever. This year it was the ipod. Last year itunes gift card, cds, movies, etc. I'm about to give up!
p.s. Is it weird that all of our guns are mine? :)

grammawood said...

With curious kids like yours around, I think that you should know where it is; then every once in awhile you could just make sure it is still there.